Bandel is situated 40 km from Calcutta. The ancient church dates from 1599.
Bandel Church was built by the Portuguese who had made Bandel their home town of sorts. The Basilica is visited by hundreds of people daily and on Feast Days or public holidays thousands of people of all faiths visit the Basilica.
The statue of Our Lady of Bandel or Our Lady of Good Voyage on the top of the Basilica is considered to be miraculous, and people of all faiths pray to Our Lady for favors. In front of the statue hundreds of candles are lit by pilgrims and the faithful.
http://www.pilgrimage-india.com/west-bengal/bandel-church.html, January 21, 2011.
 Attilio GALLI, Madre della Chiesa dei Cinque continenti, Ed. Segno, Udine, 1997